Monday, May 10, 2010

Cookie Monster

I have been on a mission to find the best homemade chocolate chip cookie for as long as I can remember. I've wanted to be the type of mom who could whip up a batch without having to cut the seam of a Nestle Tollhouse wrapper. For my son's 5th birthday I think I did just that. 
I've had this book forever and I've made about a dozen of the hundreds of recipes in it. I never thought to try the chocolate chip cookie one, it's hidden between pictures of very ornate drop cookies. I like to think it's a little secret recipe their hoping people would skip over, choosing the cappuccino crinkles or the spice mingles instead. Forever keeping it's deliciousness a secret. They are a secret no more! Because tonight I'm sharing the recipe with you.


chocolate chip cookies:
3/4 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. shortening
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large mixing bowl beat butter & shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Finally beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer, stir in any remaining by hand if needed. Fold in chocolate chips.


2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes.Transfer to wire rack to cool. 

Those are the official instructions from the BH&G Cookbook. But they left out 2 important steps.
1. taste test dough often, preferably in between placing spoon fulls on cookie sheet.
2. Allowing children to help will make them taste even sweeter. 

2 comments:

  1. Choc Chip cookies are my absolute weakness. Give me one over any other dessert any day. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! I'm now an official stalker! I have a recipe for you to try too! My manager brought them in when I worked retail and I drool over them every time I think of them since.

    ReplyDelete